Image Map

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Cucumber Salad + Grilled fish and stuffed mushrooms



A few nights ago (could I tell you how many? no. I have been working quite a bit lately. My shift is over at 10, and most nights it's midnight when I get home....this makes me tired. But once on one of my days off is when this was) We grilled some fish and stuffed mushrooms. We also had a few cucumbers that my parents gave us from their garden, and although it is pretty much the most unhealthy way to eat cucumbers, I think it is delicious.

Cucumber sauce
1 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Sliced cucumbers
(I added tomato wedges, and if I liked raw onions a lot, I would maybe add them too. A nursing home I used to work at made a salad with the tomatos and onions in it, and it was good)

Mix up the sauce, it will be grainy because the sugar hasn't dissolved yet.

 
Slice up the cucumbers and tomatoes


Add veggies (fruit?) to the sauce and let it sit for a couple hours so it's not gritty
 

Here's how I made the mushrooms....didn't take many pictures, and I don't have exact amounts of things because I was winging it. Removed the stems of some baby bella mushrooms and washed them. Mixed up about 1/3 of the 8 oz chunk of cream cheese, a little dried minced onion (because I am lazy), about 1 clove minced garlic, a few T. panko bread crumbs, 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese, some salt and pepper. I mixed that up really well, then spooned about 1 T into each mushroom. Then, I sprinkled a little Panko and shredded Parmesan cheese to the top and smoosh them down a bit. I made a little pan out of aluminum foil a few layers thick, added some butter squares and some minced garlic, then place the mushrooms in a single layer on the bottom so they won't tip. Then, grill them until the mushroom is cooked to your liking. (I think this really works better baked in the oven, but Tom insists on grilled things a lot, so that's what we did.)

 
We had some fish from my parent's pond I decided to cook somehow. We didn't have any lemon juice, or lemon pepper seasoning, or usual fish seasonings I could think of, so those options were out. We did have some orange juice though, so I decided to try it. This was another thing Tom thought we should grill. I made another little pan from a few layers of aluminum foil, cut up some margarine and layed the fish on top of that.
 
 
Then, I squeezed some orange juice all over the fish.
 
 

We had some supreme salad seasoning from forever ago, so I decided to use that....not sure why. It looked good though.

 
Then, I passed the fish and mushrooms off to Tom....and here's our finished meal.
 
 
 


We all thought it was pretty good....well Tom doesn't like cucumbers or mayonnaise-y sauce, so he didn't like that, but I think it's good. We both wished we would have made some more mushrooms. And I think the next time we grill fish, I will use Walleye, or something with bigger filets, so they aren't little pieces that break up. And I need to read the label of the salad seasoning to make my own version because it ended up being really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment