Image Map

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Chicken Wonton Taco Pizza


We love chicken wonton tacos. Even Tom, who hates coleslaw (or so he thinks...) has said he really likes the slaw on top of them. And they are just Asian-y and crunchy and the flavors go well together. They are delicious. So, I thought I would try to make them into a pizza! And it was definitely successful. You can do this the easy way and buy sauces that you need at the store. We didn't have any of these sauces, and I had ingredients to make them, so I did this the more time-consuming way....this was made possible by Elsie going to Tom's cousin's house to play with her little girls for the night. We'll probably go out to eat later tonight, since tomorrow is our 5 year anniversary!

To start, you should mix up all of your sauces. You'll need some coleslaw sauce, Asian Sesame Vinaigrette Dressing, and Sweet and Sour sauce. Ok. It doesn't sound like that many sauces, but it takes time to make them all, mostly the sweet and sour sauce, so if you only buy one, I'd buy that one.

You can also buy little bags of crispy wonton strips for salad toppings. We had some fresh wonton wrappers, so I just cut them in strips and fried them, which also took some time.

I cut up 1 chicken breast and cooked it in some olive oil on the stove. I usually sear one side, then flip and cover, and the chicken keeps all of its juices.




Now, for the crust, I decided that thin crust would best to give it a little crunch, and a bready crust just did not sound good to go with chicken wonton ingredients. So, I found a recipe online, and it turned out really great, and it was very easy!

Yeast and warm water

Add flour and salt

Stir it all up, and knead for a few minutes

Press onto the pan....I put a little olive oil on the pan first so it wouldn't stick

Mix up 1/4 c. stir-fry sauce, 1/4 c. Asian sesame vinaigrette dressing, 2 T. soy sauce, 2 T. teriyaki sauce, and add the chicken. I cooked this a little on the stove before adding it to the pizza. It was also a little too sauce-y, so I drizzle some sauce on first, then spooned out the chicken onto the crust.


Added a little Mozzarella cheese
 
 
Then the crushed, fried wonton strips

 
 
I baked it at 500° for about 9 minutes. While it was baking, I got the topping ingredients ready. Mixed 1/4 c. coleslaw dressing and 2 T. Asian sesame vinaigrette dressing and added it to about 1 1/2 c. shredded cabbage. I also chopped up 2 green onion tops (but this was way too much....you just need about 1/2 of a green onion top), and some chopped cilantro.
 

Pizza is done! I cooled it on a cooling rack, mainly so I didn't have to look at it on this junky pizza pan.
 
 
Add the coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro
 


Then cut it up and enjoy!
 


We both really liked this. Tom really, really, really liked it. It captured all that we like about chicken wonton tacos and pizza into one. I will definitely make it again sometime.

Here are the recipes for components I used for this pizza:

Coleslaw dressing (makes about 1/4 c.....I used just this much for 1 pizza)
1 tsp. milk
2 tsp. sugar
5 tsp. Miracle Whip

Mix it all up in a bowl. Super easy.

Asian Sesame Vinaigrette Dressing

3 T. rice vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. sesame oil
2 T. toasted sesame seeds (my little jar was almost gone, so I only had about 1/2 tsp.
1 T. vegetable oil
1/3 c. water
Combine all ingredients

Stir-Fry Sauce
1 T. cornstarch
1-1/2 T. brown sugar
1/4 c. corn syrup
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 T. rice vinegar
1-1/2 tsp sesame oil
1-1/2 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp. minced garlic
A shake of crushed red pepper
 
Combine all ingredients and heat in a sauce pan until bubbly and thickened.
 
Thin pizza crust (1 crust)
6 T. warm water
1/2 tsp. yeast
1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
 
Add yeast to warm water. Stir until dissolved. Add the flour and salt, and knead for about 5 minutes. Press flat on a pan and bake 8-9 minutes at 500°
 
Wonton Chicken Mixture
1 cut-up or shredded cooked chicken breast
1/4 c. stir-fry sauce
1/4 c. Asian Sesame Vinaigrette dressing
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. teriyaki sauce
Combine ingredients and heat in a saucepan.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment