Image Map

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chicken Veggie Pizza

Zucchini, zucchini, zucchini!


What to do with all of the zucchini? If you've ever planted it in your garden, you know that it is very difficult to use the entire crop. My parents always have so much zucchini, so there's never a shortage and this little pile is just a tiny portion of what they have gotten from their plants. Last year, we shredded a lot and froze it raw, which turned out alright for making sweet stuff later on. I decided to try a few new things with zucchini, so that is what I will post about this week.

First up is Chicken veggie pizza...

I wanted to use it on pizza, and just looked around for other veggies we had, so I just used a basic crust recipe, canned marinara sauce, cooked chicken, canned mushrooms, chopped green peppers, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, sliced tomatoes, and sliced zucchini. It turned out pretty delicious.

Pizza crust:
1 c. warm water
1 T. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. yeast (1 pkg)
3 T. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. flour

Stir water, sugar, and yeast until dissolve. Add oil and salt. Stir in flour until blended. Let rest 10 minutes. Sprinkle cornmeal onto pizza pan. Drop dough onto pan and press down after dipping fingers in olive oil to avoid the dough sticking to hands.



Top with marinara sauce, you don't need all that much, I probably used about 1/4 cup. I used Hunt's canned garlic and herb because it was on sale.


Prepare the toppings: I cooked the chicken in some olive oil on the stove and added garlic powder and Italian seasoning, then cut it up. I also used about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and a couple T. shredded Parmesan.




Then, I baked it at 425° for 18 minutes.....Mmmmm


It turned out pretty well


Tom has informed me that I need to work on the crust to get it more like a pan crust, so maybe I will experiment with that a little bit, but overall, I thought it was delicious! If I make it again, I think I will put the zucchini underneath the cheese so it cooks a little better, or maybe chop it up so Tom doesn't notice it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment