Image Map

Monday, August 12, 2013

Zucchini Brownies

I like to use zucchini in baked foods, but I enjoy not being able to tell that it's in there. A couple years ago, I tried zucchini brownies, and they turned out amazing!

 
The zucchini makes them so moist, and I like to pretend that they are healthier because it's in there too. I think applesauce would work to substitute for oil to make them healthier, and I can't remember if I've tried it or not, but I want to! They also have no eggs, so they would be a great dessert for someone with an egg allergy.
 
First, I got the pan ready with some shortening and flour
(I only made a 1/2 batch because we didn't really need to eat a whole pan of brownies and didn't have anywhere to take them)
 
 
Mixed it up....it will be very crumbly and not batter-like at all
 

Press into the pan
 

 
The baked brownies
 

Soooo yummy with frosting
 

 
These brownies are so good! You have to make them. I added chocolate chips and walnuts to the original recipe, and they were awesome! If you use fresh zucchini, they will have a more dense texture, but using frozen shredded zucchini will give you more cake-like brownies (you need to add the shreds and liquid that comes out when it dethaws)
 
Here's the recipe:
 
Zucchini Brownies
1/2 c. oil
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
2 c. milk chocolate chips
 
frosting:
6 T. cocoa powder
1/4 c. margarine
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
 
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
In a large bowl, mix oil, sugar, and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stire into sugar mixture. Fold in zucchini, walnuts, and chocolate chips. Press into prepared pan.
Bake 25-30 minutes until brownies spring back.
Mix frosting ingredients and spread over cooled brownies.



No comments:

Post a Comment