Image Map

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chili with Venison and hidden veggies







It's been really cold here lately. I wanted to make some kind of hearty soup, and decided on chili! My mom used to make a super simple chili with tomato juice, ground beef, Mrs. Grimes chili beans with sauce, and sometimes a chili packet of seasoning. I used to think it was really good, even though it is so simple, so I decided to make a variation of it! I also wanted to hide some veggies in there, so I blended some cooked carrots.

Ingredients:
 

Boiling the carrots. I added the tomato for a couple minutes, then took it out and ran it under cold water to peel it.


Chopped up 1/2 of a red onion


Browned a package of ground venison and added the onion when it was almost done. 
I think it was about 1 1/2 lb.


Pureed the carrots in our Magic Bullet



I decided this was too much meat and I could get another meal from it, so I put half in a bag and popped it in the freezer...


Combined everything in the Crock and cooked on low for about 8 hours.


Add some cheese for garnish, and enjoy!



This was pretty good and I really couldn't even tell there was pureed carrots in there. 

Here's the recipe:

3 pieces of bacon
3/4 lb ground venison
1 quart of tomato juice
1 tomato
1/2 red onion
4 carrots
1 can Mrs Grimes chili beans with sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. cumin powder
Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish.

Fry the bacon until almost crispy. Crumble and set aside. Brown the venison with chopped red onions. Cut up carrots and boil, then puree. Peel the tomato, then dice. Combine bacon, venison and onion, carrot puree, tomato chunks, tomato juice, can of beans, garlic powder, chili powder, pepper, and cumin in a Crock. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment